The oil cleansing method has been around from the time of the gypsies. You might be surprised to learn that the top clean beauty ingredients, formulas and rituals actually stem from ancient traditions.
The primary benefit of oil cleansing is that it does not strip your skin of it's naturally occuring moisture, while also removing makeup and dirt. While many people still prefer foaming agents or detergents for that freshly clean feel, the impact of these agents is usually over-drying and dehydration. Rather than strip your skin of moisture, oil cleansing adds moisture back and effectively cleanses the skin.
The main component in an oil cleanser that does the job of removing dirt and grime is the oil itself. Oil is extremely effective at cleansing impurities, makeup, and dirt from your delicate facial skin. Being experts in green beauty, we've been evaluating oil cleansers for some time, and our favourites are ones that are made with a high quality base oil.
Our top oil cleansers include Living Libations Best Skin Ever, Wildcraft Oil Cleanser, and Province Apothecary Makeup Remover & Cleanser. For extra dry skin or heavier makeup we recommend double cleansing with an oil cleanser and then a cleansing balm.
Living Libations Best Skin Ever Review
Seabuckthorn Best Skin Ever is created with organic oils and nourishing bioactive botanical compounds perfect to bring into balance every skin type. Absorbs effortlessly into the skin, infusing tired tissues with nutrients from plant extracts. Golden Jojoba makes a base of endless moisture, working with Coconut oil and Lavender essential oil to soften and balance the skin. Oil from the berries of Tamanu freshen up the skin, while essential oil of Vetiver balances sebum in the skin reducing whiteheads and acne. Grapefruit tightens and tones as Palmarosa nourishes dehydrated skin. Made in Haliburton, Ontario, Living Libations is one of our favourite brands formulated without any synthetic preservatives.
Wildcraft Oil Cleanser Review
The Toronto based Wildcraft Skincare was designed to be an eco-friendly and affordable clean skincare brand. The Wildcraft oil cleanser is made with Jojoba and marshmallow root infused sunflower oil which effectively reduces and calms inflammation, while essential oils of tea tree and frankincense work to gently clean pores and clear away makeup, dirt and grime, leaving your skin clean and nourished. We love it because it's made local, the ingredients are organic, and the oil is packaged in glass bottles.
Province Apothecary Oil Cleanser Review
Province Apothecary's Moisturizing Cleanser + Make Up Remover with Avocado & Raspberry Oil is great for all skin types. These hydrating oils remove make up & excess oil, restoring your skin’s natural radiance while gently cleansing without over-drying your skin or destroying its natural pH. Raspberry Oil stimulates cell turnover, rejuvenating skin. Bergamot Oil clears congestion. Frankincense tones the skin. Lavender heals blemishes and works as a restorative. This essential oil blend calms, and reduces stress.
Here's a step by step guide to using your oil cleanser:
- If you wear eye makeup, we recommend removing this first using reusable cotton rounds.
- Next, squirt a quarter-sized amount of the oil cleanser of your choice in the palm of your hand. Gently massage the oil all over face and neck area. Circular and upward motions work best to maintain elasticity and move lymphatic fluids.
- After massaging the oil evenly on your face and neck, rinse a washcloth under hot water and gently remove the cleanser paying extra attention to areas where you've applied makeup.
- If you're looking to simplify your skincare routine, you can add a powdered face scrub to your oil cleansing routine once a week to exfoliate and cleanse your skin at the same time. We love the Almond Quinoa scrub by Woodlot.
- Make sure to follow up your oil cleansing ritual with a toner to close your pores. We love Crawford Street Rose + Geranium toner for it's wonderful aroma and Geranium's hormone balancing properties.
- We highly recommend oil cleansing before bed and in the morning. Follow up with a high quality serum, moisturize and SPF for the perfect day routine.